View Single Post
Old February 23, 2019, 03:48 PM   #10
RC20

88Scrat:

I am just vaguely familiar with the SMLE various. They do have 4 heads as I recall to tune the head-space rather than have the mfg process tight enough to ensure its right.

So what do you need to know? Mil surp forum may be able to better answer specifics. Its a very loose chamber and the cases don't last long in it. I don't know of any 303 head space issues gauge wise. Its not SAMI but they should do what is needed to get it as right as it gets.

Its an oddity as the rimmed 303 should set head space not the bolt head. but they do have different bolt heads.

I think in reality it adjusted the bolt face to the rim section and really had nothing to do with head space.

Enfield is a somewhat loose term as they did mfg a totally different rifle from the SMLE pre WWI (most mfg done in the US for the 303 version)

I think we need to clarify the use of the term "headspace" as it is being used in this thread.
With a rimmed case like the .303 the headspace is the thickness of the space between the bolt face & the rear chamber face occupied by the RIM of a loaded case exclusively. The measurements of ALL OTHER dimensions, while effecting case expansion & possible failure are chamber dimensions to be sure, but are NOT "Headspace".

If we use a rimless case, like the 7.62mm conversion, then the distances within the chamber do become both critical & part of the "Headspace" for that round.

Quote:
There has been a great deal of confusion on this point so I feel it's a good idea to remind everyone of the actual term "headspace" & it's usage as it applies to the rimmed .303 British case.
If you have truly "Excessive Headspace" the case can weaken & may well rupture, if you have correct headspace & a "sloppy chamber" it may well beat up your brass, effect accuracy negatively, & allow brass to stretch to the point of failure, but it STILL is not "Headspace"

Last edited by RC20; February 23, 2019 at 09:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.03694 seconds with 8 queries