View Single Post
Old June 7, 2012, 09:45 PM   #28
SG29736

"I guess you're right but, opinions are like........well, you know. Experience counts, not guesswork. Training LEO's is too big of a responsibility to rely on "opinon.""

A person with more experience in a particular area, should have his opinion more highly valued than someone with little experience. However, it is still an opinion, not fact. Proper training of LEO's is a huge responsibility. But even the tactical trainers at the highest levels do not agree on everything (have different opinions).

As you pointed out, you are forced to train officers within the restraints of your budget and facilities. When they need more hands on practice with shooting and gun handling skills, where do they get it? These are perishable skills and must be practiced regularly.

Competition gives shooters a place to practice these shooting and gunhandling skills often enough to stay at a high level. It doesn't teach the classroom textbook way to clear buildings or rooms or that part of tactical training.

I am a small county correctional officer. I shoot with LEO's from the surrounding counties in competition. They seem to be happy with their experience at matches and feel more confident with their ability to handle their weapons.

Years ago, a lot of young men grew up around firearms, hunting and plinking, and had experience when they entered the law enforcement field. Now days, a much larger percentage of new LEO's have never fired a gun before, or maybe they shot a 22 once or twice, that's it. Not all of them, of course, but a lot. I really can't imagine carrying a gun on duty, with no prior experience, relying only on the minimum training that my department was able to give me.

I believe you when you say that your officer cleared his weapon and held it above his head. But, my experience tells me that he more likely was attempting to show off, as opposed to actually being required to do that to show clear at any organized competition.

I'm on your side. I want to see officers get that additional trigger time that they need to keep their skill levels up, when the budget doesn't allow for the training. They are more likely to get out and do it regularly at matches, because in addition to being good practice, it's fun. Also, it's measurable. Agencies shooting qualifications are usually pass/fail. They don't like to closely score anyone to rank one officer above another. At a match they get to see this and measure their improvement.

Good luck, Mark

Page generated in 0.02632 seconds with 8 queries