View Single Post
Old May 19, 2011, 07:39 AM   #9
LordTio3

Great great advice so far guys. I really enjoy hearing from folks who have the experience I one day hope to possess.

Just for reference, I have a Bachelor's degree in Psychology. While not in Police Science or Criminal Justice, I do believe it will help me in this career field. I've also been shooting since I was about 9 and have a very "systemic/cumulative" attitude about shooting philosophy; as with everything. There is no "Best Way/Strategy/Tactic/Etc..." There is only more or less appropriate given a set of circumstances. Everything I've learned or will learn is viewed through this particular lens. In the academy, there won't be any "Well at TDI...". I'm there to be educated, some more.

I'm also a very cool-headed person. I've been carrying a weapon as a citizen for several years and know that in order to fit your gun in your holster; you've got to take out your temper and your pride. There's only room for one in there, not 3. And I don't take lightly the act of someone endorsing me with the name, power, and credentials of the people of the city that I'm applying.

By the way:
1. I would have completely forgotten sunblock.
2. I've never even thought of Baby Wipes.
3. I DO carry a leatherman! Honestly one of the handiest things I've ever carried on my person. I also carry a utility knife, flashlight, handkerchief, and 2 pieces of folded up notebook paper. I've used them all far more than I would have imagined.
4. About the Ka-Bar TDI...

It is basically a Karambit. Oddly enough, in my central martial art I have my weapons proficiency with a Karambit. The blade is incredibly fast, and used correctly, it is very effective. The TDI was designed by John Benner of TDI specifically to be used by Police Officers for the purpose of weapon retention, (since the majority of officers shot and killed are done so by their own weapons). It's supposed to be worn on the belt where desired, and while providing positive retention pressure with a hand on your weapon, the blade is then to be deployed against the reaching limbs of the attacker with the other hand. The overwhelming majority of users who train with the knife for just a couple of minutes have the ability to deploy it in under a second (I can deploy my Karambit in the same purpose in less than half that), where a folding knife with clip and easy-opening in the same purpose generally takes between 2 and 4 seconds to deploy.

Quote:
Not to mention that 'whatever" would be a turn off to your FTO.
This kind of confused me.

Thanks for everything so far and I eagerly await advice of any kind! Anyone buy their ammo in bulk online? Know any good stores for this?

~LT

Page generated in 0.03426 seconds with 8 queries