View Single Post
Old October 31, 2008, 11:22 PM   #68
David Armstrong

Quote:
but I take issue with your attitude that there is only one correct method...the one you say is correct. You don't leave room for anyone to have a different opinion, a different perspective, a different thought process, or different priorities.
Interesting. I went back through the whole thread and nowhere can I find me suggesting there is only one correct method, the one I say is correct. Perhaps you could paste where I have said that, as I seem to have missed it.
Quote:
You use stats and logic to advocate your way when it suits you and then ignore it when someone can use it to bolster their opinion. It's as simple as logic and stats when it's backing you up, but it doesn't work that way when you disagree.
I rarely advocate anything. I will point out what certain facts are and what various pieces of information show, but about the only thing I advocate in this area is make an informed decision using the best information you can get. As for logic and stats, I believe that I and others have shown how the logic in both situations you have referred to is quite in line in both. Logic and stats suggest compliance as the default with the robber, logic certainly suggests staying inside as the default with an unknown noise.
Quote:
Some people think that property is worth defending, even if it's insured.
And some people think that the moon landing were faked. And I don't think I've ever said property is not worth defending. I do happen to think it sort of silly if defending a $10 piece of property results in a loss to you of $1000.
Quote:
Much like 150 years ago, when people were hung for stealing a horse. A horse represented a man's livelihood and people saw it as a grave crime to steal one. People dropped everything to hunt the thief down and he was usually hung.
In spite of the fictional Westerns, few people were hung for horse stealing. And people rarely, if ever, would drop everything to go chase down a horse thief. Usually those that were hung for it stole the horse in a situation that put another's life in danger.
Quote:
For someone to think that defending their property is worth the trouble and risk doesn't make them wrong.
Don't think I've ever said that, either. It's often a bad idea, and depending on how you defend and where it might even be against the law, however.

Page generated in 0.02695 seconds with 8 queries