View Single Post
Old June 24, 2020, 12:45 AM   #59
zxcvbob

Mine big bore is a .45 Colt Ruger Bisley-Blackhawk, and I've loaded for it like it was a .44 Magnum or a little beyond. Yeah, it's got a kick to it, but the gun is heavy so the recoil is not punishing. (my gun with the worst recoil is my little P3AT .380 and I hate shooting that gun) I'm guessing the SBH is even heavier than a Bisley, except yours has a short barrel. With my stoutest loads (255 grain bullet at about 1400 fps) I usually just shoot 6 or maybe 12 before dropping back to something lighter to keep me from flinching.

My gun came with a set of fancy checkered rosewood grips as well as the factory smooth walnut grips. The gun is easier to shoot with the smooth grips, but the rosewood looks so nice I use those.

Do you reload? (you will) Get some 240 grain cast bullets and a pound of Herco. That should be a good "magnum" powder for a short barrel, and economical to use. If you can't find Herco get Unique. After you burn that up if you want something with more juice, try a powder like 2400 or AA#9. Or if you want something lighter, use Green Dot or 231.

Blue Dot is good in the summer but it can get squirrelly in cold weather.

An empty paint can (you can buy new ones at Home Depot and probably Lowes, with a lid for a couple bucks) will make a *much* better ammo can than a cottage cheese container. Heck, an old tube sock will make a better ammo container than a cottage cheese carton

Page generated in 0.03387 seconds with 8 queries