View Single Post
Old July 2, 2018, 05:15 PM   #85
sigxder

Might I offer something to those of you that say "always use the sights". And yes I agree when time and distance allows use as much of a sight picture as time allows. Get a blue gun, air soft gun, or simunitions. Whatever you can get.
Then get some protective gear. such as is used in Martial Arts. Or if you can a "red man suit".
Put the training weapon in your holster as you would carry it in your day to day life. Most of us it would include a cover garment. Then not in a pre-planned manner. But in as many ways as you can imagine have your opponent (best you
be in protective gear) come at you from different distances in an aggressively, offensive manner. When they cover the distance very rapidly and start to beat you about the head and body. See if (without really fighting them off anyways) if you can get into your great shooting stance, line your sights up, and center punch them. Again unless you can knock them off of you, gain some distance, and move (which is good if you can pull it off) the chances of you getting the gun up and aligning sights is slim to none.
And of course have your opponent do the same with a training knife, and some type of training gun. With the training gun, hopefully one that throws out some sort of projectile that lets you know you are hit. Close up is where distance is not your friend. Right on top of you the other guy doesn't need to
be a very good shot. That's why bad guys try to get close. Either by surprise from out of no where. Getting you engaged in conversation while closing the distance. Or simply bum rush you. Some type of ploy is used to get close.
Fight with the gun against a thinking, moving, person. The gear we have now allows for it. Not standing still, with your hands at your side, waiting for a buzzer to go off. So you can shoot a non moving, non thinking, piece of paper that doesn't shoot back. And I am in no way saying you don't need to develop your skills through drills. Yes you do. But your skill set needs to include when someone is on top of you.
I wonder how much ego goes into not working with your students goes with the preset, timed drills. That let's you build skills based on a specific set of criteria that let's you use the techniques that validate your mindset as to how things should go. It is common sense to train from zero to x amount of feet with your weapon. Every possible situation you can.
Saying one specific methodology such as a two handed, sighted, specific stance is possible in every instance is insane! Drills that make what you do look good. And your one size fits all methodology just doesn't work. What don't you understand that you can't always get a nice stance and sight picture when things go bad? Point shooting, instinctive shooting whatever you want to call it should be part of your skill set.
So sighted fire when time and distance allow. Appropriate tool for the right job. Old idea but if all you have is a hammer everything begins to look like a nail applies. Point shooting, one handed shooting, weak handed shooting, sighted shooting should all be taught. Being in a chair, on your butt, fighting against a gun grab should all be worked into the plan. But some folks seem to want to say point shooting is not aimed shooting (it is aimed shooting by body indexing) is pray and spray are simply wrong. It shouldn't be point shooting vs. sighted fire. It should be point shooting and sighted fire. The situation determines the battle and tactics used. Pretty straight forward to me.

Page generated in 0.03064 seconds with 8 queries