View Single Post
Old April 5, 2013, 06:16 AM   #19
Willie Sutton

Slamfire is dead-on. Dealing in a parallel universe testing and recertifying ejection seat cartridges for 1950's era Russian MiGs has been one of my life experiences, and his observations are identical to those made by the lab scientists (propellent engineers) we hired to do our cartridge recertifications.

While old propellant may burn, it's not the same stuff that was loaded decades before. US Military storage is excellent, which likely plays into the very good experience many of us (myself included) have had with 1950's thru present day US (CMP) issue ammo. Having shot 10,000 rounds of it in .30-06 thru Garands, I am confident in the stuff. HOWEVER: Actual mileage varys though, a friend lost his $100K registered MG-42 to a catrastrophic failure of old ammunition. I've myself just now comissioned manufacture of a semi-auto FG-42 in 7.92x57 and I can assure you that no surplus ammunition will go thru it, and that is with about 10,000 rounds of 1960's and 1970's surplus 7.92x57 surplus ammo in my bunker. I can not justify taking a chance destroying a bespoke-manufacture rifle worth $6K trying to save a few dollars. One of these custom rifles has already been destroyed by surplus ammunition.

To the OP: There is nothing inherantly "bad" about shooting quality military ammunition thru a sporting rifle. Define "quality" as you wish. Very little military ammunition was bad when it was manufactured. Age does it no favors.

Willie

Page generated in 0.03327 seconds with 8 queries