View Single Post
Old March 31, 2011, 09:47 AM   #16
hornetguy

Quote:
I've read a number of articles on firing handguns underwater under the years, and apparently the LAST thing you want to do is keep water out of the barrel.

Apparently because of the much higher density of the water, if there is air in the barrel, there is a significant chance that you'll ring the barrel or even split it.
+1
I read an article a BUNCH of years ago that discussed this very thing. I believe they were using a stainless Randall 1911, and, long story short, you MUST get ALL the water out of the barrel/gun, and if the ammo is sealed, the gun will fire. If there is any air in the barrel, it tended to act as a bore obstruction, with the expected results. It is also extremely deadly at relatively long distances. I think they were hampered by the length of the pool, but said it would be very easy to kill someone underwater, at a distance, if the whole apparatus was fully water filled. In fact, I think they said don't shoot it across your pool, as it would probably put a hole through the gunite wall of the pool.
It's a different story about bullets being shot into water from out of the water, IIRC. The impact of the water slows the bullet down more rapidly, and they lose their velocity very quickly.
The article might be "findable" on the net... I'll see what I can do with my limited access here at work..

Page generated in 0.03680 seconds with 8 queries