View Single Post
Old January 12, 2014, 09:51 PM   #51
Againstthewind

I agree with JASmith the .308 was a bit much. I was hoping that it would be ok because he will be legal for big game this year, but we are going to have to take it a little slower I think. The .308 was all I have right now but I will have to look into something like a .243 to start out with. October is a ways away still.

I also agree that shooting from the bench and sandbags is not the same as shooting in the field. Someone else said aim small, miss small and being able to hit a small target consistently at the range gives a lot of confidence in the shooters ability when it comes to the field. Those drills are also a good idea. That would be pretty fun too.

I don't think 5" or 6" is small enough. The very convenient picture shows an instant kill area about 6" diameter maybe. If you are only able to group your shots at 6" your aim in the field would have to be perfect to still be in the kill zone consistently. I am with the person who refuses to shoot at an animal offhand unless it is with a .22 or shotgun. Some people can do it, but I don't practice off-hand and I won't shoot offhand at a deer. I know there are a lot of more experienced hunters out there but I am pretty stuck on requiring better accuracy than a pie-plate for myself.

Last edited by Againstthewind; January 12, 2014 at 10:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.03633 seconds with 8 queries