View Single Post
Old December 12, 2012, 06:37 AM   #171
Mike Irwin
Staff

"They are not typically issued by military, police, or private security, but are still usually recommended to old ladies and newbies who can't be trusted to operate a contraption as complex and mysterious as an autoloader by fudds who grew up watching John Wayne and dirty Harry."

What I find to be generally troubling is that so many people immediately assume that if the police or military carry something, it must, by extension, be the absolute best solution for their application.

As Webley has noted, police (most often) and the military carry what they are TOLD to carry, with the choice of service weapon as often as not being made by an individual, or panel of individuals, who likely have never used a firearm offensively or defensively.

I've written extensively here and other places about the psychology that went into the groundswell shift from revolvers to automatics in the civilian and police markets starting in the late 1970s, and in generally it was NOT a pretty process. It was fraught with panic, poor choices, and bad outcomes.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.03371 seconds with 8 queries