View Single Post
Old November 4, 2008, 10:05 PM   #75
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Deaf,
Leave it to you to distort the facts in any debate. I was taught the same techniques from my grandfather who was at Pearl, Midway, Tulagi, Guadalcanal, Makin Island, and campaigns in Eastern New Guinea and New Britain before malaria about killed him. This no non-sense type of training instilled a mind and skill set that save my bacon in Iraq. Lets also not forget that in addition to learning from Applegate in person Matt was also taught WWII combatives and shooting techniques by his father who was a Ranger in WWII.
What's distorted 7677?

Applegate, I really suspect, was never in combat before WW2. That is not a disparaging remark about him if it's true. I have no doubt in the National Guard he was very vocal on how he felt about training and had studied such as Fairbrain and Sykes. Donovan, of the OSS, had his name passed to him and he liked what he saw. Considering the stringent time limit imposed Applegate's methods were the best around. There was no time for formal long time marksmanship nor ring time for H2H. I honesly feel Fairbrain and Applegate had the best system for the situations handed to them.

Now the reason I brought up Applegates combat experience was to point to Matt that the one teaching the methods to recuits basicly had no combat experience. Yes they had learned from those who did have such experence, but themselves they had none.

The military today, and police, do bring in top 'game' shooters now and then. They keep an open mind and use their experience to 'pick what is usefull', to paraphrase Bruce Lee, and 'discard what is useless' from what the top shooters show as for technique and teaching methods.

And I'm all for that.

Page generated in 0.03161 seconds with 8 queries