View Single Post
Old March 17, 2007, 07:59 AM   #5
boltgun71

My process is very similar to rwilson452. Just remember to only change one component or measurement at a time when adjusting your loads. When its comes to me choosing the right powder, I consult reloading manuals to see which powders provided the most accurate and most uniform velocity. Then I ask other reloaders that load for the same caliber, which powder they have had the best results with. Then I find a powder that they recommended that matches my criteria from the manual and use that one as my starting point. I use .5gr increments in working up my loads. My firing sequence is the same as rwilson452's. If the first three rounds dont look good I wont fire the last two and save them for fouling shots later. Accuracy is more important to me than velocity, and I find that "pet" load when I have found the most accurate load for my given bullet choice. I normally try to experiment with at least two or three different powders unless I come across a load that just makes one little hole in the target. Once a load does that I will only tinker a little more if it all. I once put together a load for my 700 .300 Win. Mag. that shot a single 1/2" group on the first starting load. The next few loads I tried the groups just continued to open up so I quit and stuck with the 5 shot one-ragged hole starting load as the one to use. Sometimes your just lucky in finding a load like that.

Page generated in 0.03342 seconds with 8 queries