View Single Post
Old November 4, 2004, 12:28 PM   #11
Wallew

Let YOUR WIFE make the choice - much safer

While it MAY seem like either choice is a good one, allow me my boondoggle for a moment.

I used to think that shooting a 20 was 'childs play' and everyone could handle the recoil.

From a womans standpoint, this is normally NOT TRUE. Their center of balance is lower than mens. Meaning that when firing the shotgun, it is a little more difficult to come back on target after the first shot.

If a shotgun is a must, consider a .410. Keep slugs and 00 buck around. WILL make a mess of any intruder, and recoil is less than the 20.

Having said all that, MY WIFE CHOSE a Taurus .357 4" comped revolver several years ago. Yes, she shoots .38's out of it. YES, she is a much better shot that I am, by a long shot.

Women don't have all that macho stuff running around inside them. You know, 'The Dirty Harry syndrome' or what ever you wish to call it. Us guys have 'performance anxiety' compared to women WHEN SHOOTING.

The first time I took my wife to the range, twenty plus years ago, she picked up my Dan Wesson 6" .357, loaded with mags and pumped all six in the X ring at about ten feet. Then asked me, "What else you got for me to shoot?"

Over the years, after her trying .22's through .45 auto, SHE CHOSE the Taurus. I just took her to the gun shop and stood back. With .38's she is down right DEADLY.

So, don't make the mistake of YOU choosing your wifes personal protection weapon. Take her to the range. Let HER try out all the choices and then LET HER CHOOSE the weapon she wants to use to defend herself, home and hearth while you are away. You will be much happier with her choice AND so will she. Consider it 'Mutual Respect'.

Oh, and pass along the idiom, "If you HAVE to shoot a bad guy and he falls out of your house, drag his @ss back inside". One more. When asked why she shot the bad guy six times, the response was, "That's all the bullets that were in the gun".

Page generated in 0.03936 seconds with 8 queries