View Single Post
Old September 21, 1999, 04:56 PM   #2
Rob62

Bruegger,

Personally my tastes run to pump guns for "all around" shotguns. Remington 870's and Mossberg 500's are both great guns in the respect that they can not only be used for home defense but also for hunting. For your purposes I think that a 28"/26" barrel would be fine. I personaly like shorter barrels and use (would you believe it) a 22" screw in choke vent ribbed barrel on my primary hunting shotgun (Rem 870 12 ga). I have used this barrel successfully on both small game/ducks and some clays/skeet. I read somewhere that after about 22-24" of bbl the powder is all burned up (consumed) and one does not gain many more FPS by using a longer bbl. As to auto loaders I just picked up a Browning Light Twelve in like new condition (Synthetic stock, 2.75" chambered, 26" bbl). I hope to go out tomorrow and shoot it at the Trap range. What does this have to do with anything you asked.....nothing....just thought I would brag about my new big boy toy ;-) You really can't go wrong with either the 1100 or the 9200. I've only owned 1100's in the past never a 9200, and have been very happy with the 1100's performance. As a matter of fact I was looking for an 1100 when I saw the Browning, and it was gotta have it at first sight. When you comented on the 1100 either/or taking 2.75 or 3" shells did you mean interchangeably? I personally have used only 2.75" shells in my previous 1100's but if an individual gun is chambered for both they should fire them equally as well even if you do mix them in a magazine tube full. I personaly would stay away from the "super mag" or 3.5" chambered 12ga guns. No real valid reason, just a personal preference. I believe that for the hunting that I do a 3" 12ga magnum shell will give me more than enough power. But if you gotta have the extra ooompppfffhhh then go for it. But I'm kinda recoil shy anyway and just don't enjoy getting my shoulder pushed around that much. (Sold my .338 Win Mag cause I nearly broke a collar bone....but that was my fault). Synthetic stocks are really a personal thing. Some people just can't live with 'em. I like them; don't warp, don't shrink, don't rot, well you get the idea. Hope these ramblings help somewhat. Welcome to the wonderfull world of shotgunning......oh yeah...before I forget.....clays can be addictive. Watch out, before you know it you might wind up addicted to the sport. I was *almost* a Trap addict....just never could break that 25th bird....oh so many 22's....23'and even 24's but never a perfect 25. Hmmmm.....wonder when the trap range closes tonight.

Rob

RKBA!

------------------
It's amazing what a large group of stupid people can accomplish.
-----------------

Page generated in 0.03305 seconds with 8 queries