View Single Post
Old June 8, 2012, 01:17 PM   #17
Jammer Six

Jason is very close.

One of the most powerful teaching tools is example. If you check the NRA teaching manuals, and attend NRA instructor development courses, (the NRA calls them something else) you will see and hear example stressed again and again. Students, particularly new students, watch you and what you do at least as much as they listen to you. I wish schools that teach the Cooper methods stressed instructor example more, at least in their formal curriculums.

I teach civilians, and I teach them safe procedures for the range. I don't teach them to wear body armor, and I teach them not to be anywhere that body armor is needed. I have, in fact, never seen anyone but Corrections Officers wearing body armor at my range.

One of the messages I teach is that recreational shooting is a safe sport, given proper discipline, procedures and knowledge.

My final comment for this post is this: I don't know about police or military instruction or requirements, but if you feel you need body armor to teach civilians, I would suggest reviewing your curriculum and firing line procedures with a stronger eye towards safety.

Page generated in 0.03652 seconds with 8 queries