View Single Post
Old February 19, 2012, 02:00 AM   #6
Nathan

Except it is normally 3-9x40.

Also, scopes come in 3/4"(22lr cheap), 1"(basic std tube), 30mm(common mid to long range tube), 34mm(super long range)..

I sort tubes by range because a smaller tube gets pushed around in the outer tube by the turrets. For example, a 1" usually has ~30-50 MOA of travel where a 30mm can have up to 100moa and so on.

Objectives range from 1" - ~60mm. For most scopes, anything over 40 is show. Still with good optics, a 50 with good glass can get you well past legal shooting light.

Last, the confusion starts with me when you look at the 300 brands of Chinese spec built scopes and try to figure out which is the best glass for your money. Reviews and trying are all we can do. Seems like there is no objective set of data to look at.

Last, many will tell you to spend $500+. I can say for most daylight shooting, a scope with good mechanicals and $200 glass does it as well for me as $1000 glass. I'm in the camp which says scope mark and rifle msrp ought to be close. Slightly less if you are a zero it and forget it shooter. Slightly more if you want to turn turrets...up to??

Last don't go too crummy on the mount. There are more junk mounts o the market than anything else.

Page generated in 0.02874 seconds with 8 queries