View Single Post
Old December 19, 2011, 06:43 AM   #43
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Why aren't 308 "AR-15's" very popular?
No such thing as a .308 AR15. You have the AR10, made by ArmaLite, in 7.62, the N6 made by Noveske in 7.62. The DPMS LR-308 in .308, The LMT MWS in 7.62, the new CMMG in .308 as I recall. Many others make a 7.62/.308 AR platform rifle.

Quote:
When I have looked at them, you are stuck using proprietary parts which are hideously expensive.
The uppers/lowers are propitiatory with three main designs, a few small parts like the barrel nut, bolt catch and mag release may be propitiatory or may be standard AR15, depends on maker. Most aftermarket hand guard makers offer barrel nuts for any style. The RE's are a standard size.

Quote:
It has been a while, but magazine cost was ridiculous and magazine don’t interchange, and that was just the start of the thing. Bushmaster was making a rifle that took FN mags, a great idea, but they took it off the market.
Pmags are $20 and ArmaLite mags are $25-28.

ArmaLite and Noveske are running at full production to keep up with demand. I see new owners everyday on the .308/7.62 AR forums. They well never sell in the numbers that the AR15 sells in, they cost twice as much to buy and to shoot.

The 16" Infantry profile Carbines from ArmaLite are fairly light at just under 8lbs. That's lighter than many decked out AR15's I see.

The accuracy from my 21" Noveske N6 rivals any bolt gun in the same caliber.

The DPMS LR-308 is popular because of it's low price and cheap Pmags. The new CMMG .308 is a bargain at it's $1500 price, PRS, floated hand guard, match grade barrel, two stage trigger.

Page generated in 0.02495 seconds with 8 queries