View Single Post
Old June 1, 2011, 01:33 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

My daughter will be 8 soon. We've been teaching the 4 rules for a while, but I'm reluctant to say "taught," because I'm not done teaching. It's critical that a child understand that breaking the 4 rules can end someone's life.

Whenever I have a gun out, she wants to look. I make sure it's cleared, then hand it over. Then she has to make sure it's been cleared. I took her out to my parents' house in the country last year (or was it year before?) and let her shoot a BB gun. She couldn't quite follow the rules, because she just got too excited. So we put it away. Now, I think she's ready. There's nowhere near me that we could shoot a BB gun anyway, so I might as well take her to the range and start her with a single-shot .22.

Someone on this board made a comment that I'm going to shamelessly rip off. It was not my comment originally, but it's very good advice. Teaching your kids about guns is like teaching them to swim. Deep water will still be out there in the world, and will still be dangerous, even if you don't teach them to swim.

Page generated in 0.04062 seconds with 8 queries