View Single Post
Old January 31, 2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Lee Lapin

I wouldn't want to use a rifled barrel for buckshot in a defensive gun even at short range. In fact, I will say definitively that I WOULD NOT use a rifled barrel on a defensive gun with buckshot, given any choice at all in the matter. Rifled barrels don't just sling buckshot, they open up patterns in a dounut shape most of the time. That means the middle of the pattern is EMPTY. You hit everything but what you're shooting at. No thanks, that's not for me.

There are gobs and bunches of new and used 18-20" 870 barrels out there in 12 gauge. Not so much so in 20 gauge, because very very few riot guns get sold in 20 gauge.

Remington's Country Store has $59 18" rifle sight 870 smoothbore barrels with the Marine Magnum type satin nickel finish for sale in Closeout right now, till they're all gone. For 59 bucks I wouldn't care if they were pink. I bought 3 of them- they're just fine for my uses. I could give a dead rat if the finish matches on a working gun.

The cheaper/easier approach would be to go with a 12 and shoot reduced recoil loads if recoil is an issue. Or plan on buying a factory new full price short smoothbore barrel, if you want decent buckshot patterns. Brenneke is now making their KO non-sabot slugs in 20 gauge, and if they work as well as the 12 gauge version does, that'll do just fine for anyone who wants to launch slugs out of a smoothbore barrel.

fwiw,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.

Page generated in 0.02714 seconds with 8 queries