Thread: Recent scare...
View Single Post
Old December 23, 2009, 10:26 AM   #22
Southern Rebel

Quote:
Call me a heartless coward I suppose, but I can not envision a scenario wherein I would leave my house and family and go into the dark to check on the "bump in the night" of the lady next door.

The lesson here to me is stay in your own damn house. Let the police do their jobs. I will help my neighbors if I can but my family is my priority, I made promises to them not to my neighbor.
In my area of the country, that is exactly what you would be called. However, I respect your choice as yours to make -probably in a lot of circumstances a wise choice. It does, however, reinforce what my liberal friend at work always told me about the 2nd amendment. His belief was that the 2nd amendment was more about protection of our country and he noted that most gun owners only use it to justify their personal protection. He said that the idea of the gun owners in this country being able to come together as a legitimate fighting force was laughable because he considered us to be some of the most "self-oriented" people he knew.

Now, granted he is a dedicated gun control freak. However, he does read a tremendous amount of internet information from gun forums (as he puts it, to gather information on the enemy! Most of his opinions and arguments on gun control I can counter, but the above opinions almost seem logical.

Regarding helping the neighbor, I guess I am locked into a belief that I am "My Brother's Keeper". The OP does open my eyes to the fact that I need to maybe have a plan as to how my help will be provided before I am faced with a situation similar to his.

Page generated in 0.03786 seconds with 8 queries