View Single Post
Old November 4, 1999, 07:34 AM   #7
slickpuppy

Shotgun News has advertisers that sell bulk PMC for $179. Federal and Winchester bulk is within $20 bucks or so of that in SGN. An excellent source of ammo is HawksView Custom Ammo out of Iowa. Buy 1000 rounds of their 55 grain ammo for $169 and they pay shipping. They also make match grade ammo to your specification that is less than Black Hills and is incredibly accurate. http://www.hawksviewcustomammo.com
I use Hawks and their 69 grain Sierra moly match loads can keep it under a dime at 200 yards from a benchrest.

As for other ammo, PMC, Winchester, Federal, and UMC are pretty much close in the accuracy department - average - MUCH less accurate than Hawks. PMC tends to be a bit dirtier than the others and has a lot more muzzle flash. The Russian steelcase crap is just that. Colt specifically states that shooting steel cased ammo will cause excessive wear on the ejector of an AR15.
I can relate a story from a friend who shot "noncorrosive" Russian 7.62x39 in his AK. We took his rifle to the range and fired about 200 rounds of the russian crap. Lots of misfires and inconsistencies velocity and accuracy wise. We packed up and went home. He waited until the next day to clean his AK and it was one rusty mess. Granted this was a different caliber and was a few years ago but it soured me on the russian stuff.
YMMV

[This message has been edited by slickpuppy (edited November 04, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by slickpuppy (edited November 04, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.03771 seconds with 8 queries