View Single Post
Old October 11, 2007, 11:22 PM   #2
rwilson452

I went in with a friend and we bought a Brinkman propane turkey cooker and a 5 qt dutch oven to melt the wheel weights into ingots. two 1 lb X4 ingot molds. I built a table to bring the cooker up to table height. you need a heavy apron gloves and a face shield. wear heavy clothes and foot wear when working with molten lead. Molding bullets is as much art as it is science. I would warn you that molten lead and water react violently when put together. Lead melts a 650 degrees. water boils at 212. you will be working with lead that is around 750 degrees at least. put them together and you get instant steam under pressure. splash lead on bare skin and you have a third degree burn instantly. You can get bullet molds in single double and six cavity molds. Doubles are easy to work with sixes that some time to work out the kinks. Mold temperature is critical. Lyman has a book on molding bullets. a good read. I have a Lee botttom pour electric pot that I mold bullets with. so it's a two step process make ingots from the weights and bullets from the ingots. you will want to make the ingots out of doors. you willl have a lot of impurities in that bucket of wheel weights so you can make quite a stink making ingots.

Page generated in 0.02720 seconds with 8 queries