View Single Post
Old October 13, 2012, 03:23 AM   #9
tipoc

For several generations both S&W and Colt regulated their fixed sight guns for a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards with standard weight loads. Meaning a 158 gr. bullet for the 38/357, 246 gr. for the 44, 230 for the 45 acp and 255 or so for the 45 Colt. That may have changed some in the last decade or so but in general it holds true.

The reason for this is that this was the standard hold for military and police bullseye shooting and practice for decades. The revolvers and semis used for generations of service were sighted in at these distances and for the six o'clock hold. This meant that for a well trained shooter taking a deliberate aim with known and select ammo the gun shot 2-3 inches above the point of aim at 25 yards.

Both the military and law enforcement found that this also worked in combat situations. It worked, and still does, because in a fight we are trained to shoot at center of mass and not to produce a 2" group at 15 or 25 yards. Also because if the trained shooter has the opportunity and time to take a well aimed sight on a target in a fight they can surely compensate for the difference in point of impact if it matters.

With adjustable sights set it to your preference. Most shooters won't much know the difference. Load to load may make more of a difference at 15 or 20 yards. It won't matter at all at 7.

Also it's been my experience that with hunting rifles I surely do set my sights from 2-3 inches high at 100 yards. This usually means that at 200 or 300 yards I'll be shooting point of aim point of impact. But due to bullet rise at 100 yards the bullet will hit high. But the shooter knows this and can adjust the bullet placement on closer game.

tipoc

Page generated in 0.02232 seconds with 8 queries