View Single Post
Old October 19, 2007, 10:58 PM   #5
MMarshall

The 460 has less energy than a .444, so I would be taking a small step down with that. The larger .454 diameter of the 460 will also make it slow down faster than the .411 diameter of the 444 at the lighter weights. Basically what I'm going after is a lesser diameter than what I have discussed, but something which doesn't have lesser energy. If there was even a straight walled .375 that was very long so that it has about 3200ft-lbs in a rifle, this would be excellent. I'm trying to go closer to 2500fps+ MV without gaining such high energy levels as would be the case in the 458 diameters. And the 458's lose their velocity very quickly. It will surely need to have a muzzle brake. I hear that these center grip styles like the Competitor pistols don't kick that bad because of the grip location relative to the pivot point; I don't know how T/C's handle this big with the rear grip. 3400ft-lbs out the muzzle would probably give a good damn bite no matter what though. That's a little more than I want to handle from this pistol.

Like I said, this is all just a theoretical cartridge design which would be excellent for what I seek, but I have no idea if there is actually anything out there that would mimick these numbers.

Page generated in 0.02953 seconds with 8 queries