View Single Post
Old August 15, 2002, 06:57 PM   #2
pappa

Marlin 336

Well, you have chosen one really fine rifle. Mine is extremely accurate. While mine is in .35 Remington, I might advise you getting the "thutty thutty" instead.
Reasons would depend how you hunt, and where.
Be practical about how far you are going to shoot, and then compare the trajectories between the two. See what bullet weight choices there are in non-pointed bullets. Since the magazine feed is in-line, you'll have to stick to RN bullets, probably only the 200g in the .35.
I bought mine when I only hunted thick woods. Since then, I have done some hunting in cut-over areas with 300-400 yard shots available. Too long, in my opinion for the .35's drop.
I'm not sure, but isn't someone putting out a "hot" load (Federal Hi-Shok, Hornady, etc) in the 30-30? Cost is higher on these extra-power loads, but they could be an option. Due to newer powders, higher velocities are attained with little or no increase in chamber pressure. I've thought about getting a box or two for my 7x57.
I think you will have a lot more choices in ammunition with the 30-30. Either one will do the job when it hits.

Page generated in 0.03043 seconds with 8 queries