View Single Post
Old November 16, 2013, 11:38 PM   #13
bamaranger

low power

The right scope will not be a hindrance in the woods, nor handicap you out in the open. And a scope, even a low powered number will let you see better in almost any condition, and you can't hit what you can't see. A good scope will gather light and allow shooting long past (or before) when you can use irons or a peep. And in point count areas, you can count points....or find holes in the brush to shot through.

Honestly, I believe a fixed 4x, or at most a fixed 6x. would work fine for much of the deer hunting done west of the MS. My longest poke at a deer has been about 225, and I did it with a fixed 4x and a .308 lever, on a ROW. Now, I know about ROW's and bean fields, slashing and cutovers. And some x power can help there. And higher x power helps with groups and small targets like varmints. That's what makes the old standard 3-9x such a useful device, but I like'em pretty trim, no bell over 40mm. But much more scope than that, (to hunt whitetails in typical N, E, SE conditions) in my book, is too much size, weight and price.

If I were to scope a lever carbine, (30-30?) I'd look hard at a fixed 4, a compact one, or a 1-4x variable. I've got a 1-4x on a Mini-30 and think its ideal. I can run targets up close in competion (at 1x) almost as fast as a dot, and wind it up to 4x and be pretty dangerous on plates out to 150-200. Pistol cals carbines would get a low powered variable, say 1-4x. , or maybe a fixed 2.5x.

BTW, the lever carbines are popular in the brush 'cause you can get through the thick stuff with them

Page generated in 0.03702 seconds with 8 queries