View Single Post
Old February 22, 2012, 02:14 AM   #1
sinead

Co-witness red dot on a lever action?

Hello all,

I am planning on buying a rifle and have been researching alternatives for quite some time. I am very familiar with handguns but have not fired a rifle in over 30 years. The specific purpose is for defense, not hunting. Defense against four legged critters when hiking with my dogs. I have encountered large feral hogs up close and have seen many coyotes but not had any problems with them. I also want something for defense against two legged critters. Even with a lot of practice, I don't see a bolt action as being fast enough for followup shots. For personal reasons, I don't want an AR15 or anything from the former Soviet Union. I would like at least 10 round capacity, lightweight, sufficient "stopping power" and reliable. Close range accuracy is good enough; I am not trying for small groups at hundreds of yards. I would also like a red dot with the ability to use an iron ghost ring if the electronics crap out. I thought I had a solution with the Ruger Mini 30 but a little research showed that a red dot co-witnessing the irons is next to impossible. What about a 44 magnum lever action? I am open to a Marlin, Winchester or other quality weapon. I don't care for the Henry, too many extra pounds. It looks like XS makes a forward mount scout rail for several Marlins and Winchesters which could hold the red dot. Are there any aftermarket ghost rings and front sights which would allow co-witnessing with an Aimpoint or Eotech or other small red dot? If there is another (lower) way of mounting a red dot than a Picatinny rail that would be fine.

If you have a solution to this problem, please be specific: 1) rifle model, 2) iron sight model, 3) red dot model and 4) specific rail or mount compatible with rifle and red dot. If possible, combination which doesn't require machining or a master gunsmith would be nice.

Thanks, Sinead

Page generated in 0.03654 seconds with 8 queries