View Single Post
Old October 5, 2011, 03:48 PM   #13
BigJimP

But you're talking about ammo made in Brazil ...that may have been junk in the first place / with questionable primers ...and who knows what kind of powder.... and that was only from 1996 ( or 15 yrs ago )...

I still have some odd-ball ammo ....that was purchased in the 1960's ...rifle ammo for a .30-40 Krag that I rarely shoot / .30-06 ammo that I rarely shoot now ....even some old shotshells ...in 2's and 4's ...in paper cases...( and periodically, in the last 5 yrs or so / I've taken some of it to the range ...and its all fired 100% ). But it was a combination of Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc ammo ...not stuff made in Brazil.

I still don't think you have anything to worry about - for ammo you reload / assuming you store it properly. I go thru a lot of reloaded ammon on my handguns and shotguns ...and none of it stays on my shelves more than 6 months.

But one of my boys found some old reloads on shotshells - in the back of his safe / and his safe is in his garage - and has damp air around it / they were stored in standard Win cardboard boxes - he and I made up in 1988 - we even put labels on them ....and he brought them out 2 wks ago - and they fired 100% as well ...and 23 yrs old ...

so I can appreciate the issues you had with the Brazilian stuff ....but I doubt your own reloads are going to have the same issues.

Maybe consider a test .... load up 20 rds...( no sealers ) / leave them outside in cardboard boxes / let them get wet ...for a couple of weeks or even hoze em down good / wipe them off ...and run them thru a gun (carefully !! ) single fire ....and see if they run 100% or is you have any issues ? My bet is, they'll fire 100% ....but be careful ...so you don't get any squibs...

Page generated in 0.02513 seconds with 8 queries