Thread: LR build
View Single Post
Old June 29, 2012, 04:24 PM   #8
taylorce1

Quote:
Do you have a comparator and modified case to get the optimal loaded length to the ogive, and bullet jump?

IMO, this is every bit as important-if not more so- than the powder/load.

Simply loading to a fixed dimension from base of cartridge to bullet tip just doesn't cut it.
I have a comparator, but no modified case but I'm not really worried about it right now. I'm trying to find a load using Dan Newberry's OCW formula. I'm not looking for benchrest accuracy I'm looking for consistent sub MOA accuracy. Plus the barrel is throated for 115 grain bullets so I'm going to have a little extra free bore using the 105-107 grain bullets.

I need it to feed from the magazine and 2.710" is the standard COAL for the .243 Win and that is why I started there. Plus my old magazine wouldn't feed a cartrige 100% of the time if it was longer than 2.810 COAL. I would feel a little bit different about it if I had built this as a single shot rifle, but I built it as a repeater so all cartridges need to be reliable feeding from the magazine.

Like I said my first goal really wasn't accuracy first and foremost. I was looking for at least 2900 fps. If I reached 2900 fps with decent accuracy then I'll tweak the load a little to see if I can get it dialed in better. Besides shooting prone off of bi-pods in 90 degree weather at 7:30 am really isn't the most comfortable thing to do. I feel that if I get to a good bench with sandbags I can really do a lot better on the groups.

Last edited by taylorce1; June 30, 2012 at 08:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.03365 seconds with 8 queries