View Single Post
Old October 19, 2013, 10:00 PM   #55
James K
Member In Memoriam

I once was told that a 642 was misfiring because the transfer bar was broken. I pointed out that S&Ws had hammer blocks, not transfer bars, and was called a liar because the guy had "checked on the Internet". Then I told him that the 642 didn't have a hammer block, either, at which he called me several choice names and stalked away. I never learned (and didn't care) what was really causing his problem, but I did get a look at his ammo, and it was some of the worst looking reloads I have ever seen, so I can make a guess.

I once watched a revolver misfire several times, after which a range officer launched a diatribe against the S&W lock and how the shooter should get a Ruger. He ceased his ravings when the man told him that the misfiring revolver was a Ruger, a GP-100.

Can the S&W lock malfunction? I think the early ones might have and, as I said, S&W made a change in the design. But I am also certain that, like others have said, the lock gets blamed for problems that have other causes, and even on guns without it.

Jim

Page generated in 0.04354 seconds with 8 queries