View Single Post
Old October 1, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1
LordTio3

Hog Hunt Beginner

Hello boys/gals,

My boss and a co-worker booked a 2 day- 4 man hog hunt in Missouri for early January 2013. I was lucky enough to warrant an invitation. It will be open bordered-private land, but they feed the hogs all year 'round; so in winter, the hogs frequent the feeders pretty regularly.

My question is, what do I need to know about hog hunting that squirrel hunting (basically my entire hunting experience) hasn't taught me? I know hunter safety, I know how to be quiet, but the squirrel I've hunted have been pretty easy pickings for my clumsy feet and a Revelation Single-Shot 22lr and a 4x scope (not an appropriate hog gun). And I've always hunted with my feet on the ground, never from a platform of any kind. I really don't even know which questions to ask about hunting hogs.

A few that have just come to me are:
I hear hogs have a good sense of smell. Will I need special clothes/chemicals?
I think I'll be hunting from a stand or ground blind; neither of which I have ever been in. Any tips for handling any of these methods?
There are no weapon restrictions, required lisences, bag limits, or method restrictions on these hogs. As such, I'm planning my gear to include my Glock 19 9mm on my side (the handgun I am by far most comfortable with), and my AR-15 in 5.56mm with 62 grain soft point ammunition.

I think this rifle is the most appropriate one I own. I can hold a 2-2.5" group with it at 100yds if I'm really trying. One of the other members is hunting with a compound bow and crossbow, another with a Saiga in 7.62x39, and the last with a Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54R.

Any recommendations on gear or general advice on hunting game larger than the squirrel I'm used to would be MUCH appreciated. I know there are some Serious veterans on here that have been doing this their entire lives, so I am all-ears.

I hope this finds you well.
Sincerely,
~LT

Page generated in 0.03474 seconds with 8 queries