View Single Post
Old September 22, 2012, 08:31 PM   #23
Nanuk

Quote:
I can cite a good example of bullet failure. An acquaintance of mine took his 6" Colt Python on a hog hunt. His first shot was an easy broadside shot, maybe thirty to fifty yards. The boar was pretty big, around 350 lbs. His ammunition? Remington factory load .357 Magnum 125 gr. Semi-jacketed Hollow points. When hit, the porker turned and looked at the man, and another shot was fired, the pig ran, changing directions with each shot. This man emptied his Python, reloaded and fired three more shots before somebody put a 12 ga. slug into the boar and the animal "passed."

An autopsy revealed all nine perfectly expanded bullets just under the skin in the top layer of fat. None had penetrated to reach vital organs.
Shooting a 350 lb hog has little to do with self defense from other bipeds.

While I agree that the 125 Grin JHP is a poor choice for hunting large dangerous game. I find it difficult to believe that the bullets expanded well and penetrated only skin deep. Factory loaded 125 grain 357 Magnum loads clock around 1600 FPS from a 6" revolver which is 711 FPE. The 125 Grain 357 Magnum was very prone to fragmentation at anything above 1400 fps.

Quote:
I shot one hefty ground hog hitting just above the rectum and the bullet exited just under his chin, pulling most of his intestines out through the exit hole. This with a .44 Magnum using a 245 gr. Keith cast bullet.
Just curious, what velocity was that 44 traveling at? I understand the penetration because I have been hunting with 44's for 30 years.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Page generated in 0.03300 seconds with 8 queries