View Single Post
Old September 13, 2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Real Gun

Catching primers relies on the primer arm being in place, whether or not it is being used. That provides a ramp that the dropped primer will hit. The angle will point the primer to the left side cavity in the base. I have improved my catch rate simply by taping paper along the right side to have a higher wall.

As far as emptying the base, one of the more clever ideas I have read about involves mounting the press over a hole, under which is attached a threaded jar lid with a big hole in it. The excess primers will flow into the jar. A variation is having the primers flow into a PVC pipe to a bucket. You can also come close to simulating the fall through design of the Classic cast. Same idea. All it takes is a hole in your bench.

One use I have found for the new Lee bench plate is to put a hole in the wooden plate under each device setup for being mounted on the plate. That hole will fill up with primers but basically provides a way to empty primers without removing the device's mounting adapter plate. You just put a bucket under the edge of the bench, loosen the bench plate, and slide the mounting out enough to dump the primers in the bucket.

I find fewer escapees by keeping the bucket as close as possible.

I also have the classic cast single stage in order to use quick change adapters in its large threads, so I do enjoy its primer collection, which is the same as the cast turret. I just don't think the difference in primer collection is enough to warrant a 40% increase in cost, jumping up to the cast turret. I would go that route if loading large rifle cartridges.

Last edited by Real Gun; September 14, 2010 at 08:12 AM.

Page generated in 0.02856 seconds with 8 queries