Thread: Ithaca M6
View Single Post
Old July 17, 2010, 06:14 PM   #29
Crosshair

Quote:
I recently inherited an Ithaca M6 survival rifle. The serial number is 111904. It is a 410-22 hornet. I do not know if it is registered. Can anyone tell me how I go about finding out if it is? Thanks.
Are you sure it is an authentic 14" M6? The latter 18" versions are not regulated by the NFA.

If it is a 14" model and you have to go to an online forum to ask about its legality, then it probably is not legal. If you don't have an ATF Form 4 with your name or legal trust on it then you are in illegal possession of an NFA item.

There are several possibilities. The gun was legally transferred, but upon death of the legal owner the proper ATF paperwork was not filled out and the gun was just given to you. In this case there is a record on the NFA registry, but it is incorrect.

The other possibility is that the gun was "liberated" from the government supply system. In this case there would be no record on the NFA registry.

There are several possibilities.
*Find the NFA paperwork that should have accompanied the gun and file for a tax free transfer to your name since the original owner has passed away.
*Arrange with and give the gun to an SOT, have them register it, then transfer it back to you via an ATF Form 4 and $5 tax stamp. (Not an option today with MGs, but it is with other NFA items.)
*Shut up, hide it, and make sure nobody finds out you have it.

What route you take is up to you.

Page generated in 0.02710 seconds with 8 queries