View Single Post
Old June 26, 2009, 12:47 AM   #44
Lost Sheep

Taser cycle ended, the suspect immediately drew...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerdude
I have a pacemaker, so does anyone know if a taser would affect it?
I would guess it could damage your pacemaker. Others say no, pacemakers are designed to stand up to defibrillators. I don't know. Try googling "Pacemaker and Taser". Share with us what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surg_res
Lost Sheep,
I read the article you posted. I hate to read about LEOs killed by doing their duty. I wonder if the taser was a bad choice in this situation. To me, tasers are more like a shot of Haldol and should be reserved for uncooperative suspects or psychotics who are physically difficult to apprehend secondary to their size or intoxication, etc (i.e. the 250 pound schizophrenic who is rampaging naked through an intersection swinging a garden hose at cars.
As for the man being apprehended at a gun range, of all places, his lack of cooperation should have been viewed as a dangerous situation.
I assume these barbs are disposable?
This guy appeared to be unarmed at the time of first contact. The guns he had been shooting at the range not within his reach. He was a big guy and worked as a bouncer at a local bar. When he became combative, one of the officers tased him in an appropriate use of force in the situation at the time. "When the Taser cycle ended, the suspect immediately drew a concealed handgun and opened fire". Everything went right, until it went wrong. He entered his truck and drove off, still fighting with one of the officers.

The first article I posted was incomplete (sorry about that), the second one (the one on odmp.org/officer/19925-deputy-sheriff-warren-(skip)-york) has a better description of the events.

I shocked myself with a hand-held "stun gun" thing on the thigh because I wondered how effective they were. It was no big deal, but it was too much for me to be willing to try it out on my torso. So, from my experience and from the story coming out of Florida, obviously, they can be recovered from, and fairly quickly, too. There is no such thing as a "magic bullet".

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02477 seconds with 8 queries