View Single Post
Old January 12, 2009, 05:53 PM   #3
darkgael

advice

Chad: I've responded to some of your other posts. The Ruger is a good choice. It was my first .22 target pistol. I have "moved on" to a H-S Victor made back in the early 1970's but I still use the Ruger in gallery matches. I had the trigger done to improve it - more about that later.
I have not fired the Mitchell version that you referred to in another thread. I do recall hearing some unfavorable press to the effect that, if you ever want a H-S buy one used that was made in the Hamden factory as opposed to any of the recent iterations.
About barrel length - if you are going to shoot iron sights, the longer barrel is advantageous because of it's sight radius. If you intend to put a red dot on it, then barrel length is relatively unimportant. My Ruger has a 5.5 inch barrel. At the moment, it has only iron sights. I have campaigned it with red dots. One of the finest target pistols ever made - the Hammerli 208 - had a barrel length of 150 mm (about six inches). Now that's a gun.
Red Dots - there are quite a few good ones. The last few years I have opted for one of the small reflex sights (mine are by JPoint) as they weigh only 1/2 oz. I have them on my .22s and on my .45. Millet makes one as does Docter, Burris and others. They are not particularly inexpensive. You will have to buy a mount; no big deal. (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...m_campaign=657)
About triggers - the issue with Rugers is the trigger. It just does not have the quality trigger that a H-S, a S&W 41, a Walther, or a Hammerli has. It also doesn't have their price tag. A competent gunsmith can improve the trigger for not a lot of $ - there are kits available from Clark (maybe not anymore) and Volquartsen.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; January 12, 2009 at 06:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.03504 seconds with 8 queries