View Single Post
Old July 13, 2000, 09:28 AM   #4
Will Beararms

Herd Management: If the deer were shot and piled up like cord wood to rot, that's wrong. If they were dressed and used to feed families, everyone wins.

Gun sharing: A great thing teaching those young men how to fish proverbially instead of waiting for someone to give them the fish.

Watering: Providing a basic necessity that is in short supply due to the urban sprawl in my humble opinion is not unethical. In fact, it may be an act of mercy. Feeding deer allgrain from cattle troughs is another story. You are creating a false sense of security that will lead to overpopulation, something that we are plagued with anyway. To me standing in front of a feeder is not hunting. Finding deer sign in August and September aand following a scrape line while using the direction of the wind to get set up is. Driving a nervous deer through a thicket with a pack of dogs is not hunting either and 9 times out of 10, the big buck are smart enough to elude dogs anyway. I love to hunt near a group using dogs, the Big Bucks always find sanctuary on our lease.

I don't have the wealth of knowledge that Mr. Eatman has but I have been hunting by myslef since the age of seven and now I'm 36. That having been said we must look at each case on its on merits. I will say anytime a family is hungry, the laws go out the window.

To end my post I will poase another question. Suppose, you have had a great season. You've killed a nice 8-point with a huge spread and a huge body. You've also taken a big barren doe and the freezer is full. The last day of the hunt right before dusk, a large 10-point walks out. If you take the shot, you may lose him since he is partially covered by brush. Clearly there is a 50/50 chance you may only wound him preventing him from being able to seed the herd for another year. Do you take the shot?

(I will cut to the chase and tell you that I would pass on the shot.)

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Page generated in 0.02538 seconds with 8 queries