View Single Post
Old February 6, 2009, 05:40 PM   #11
inSight-NEO

Erich, thanks for your post. It hit many points and gave me much to consider. Its almost scary how any "ominous" looking weapon might become a turning point when on trial for defending ones life and/or loved ones. Im of the strong opinion that, even if a weapon is painted pink with flowers all over it, it is still just as capable of dealing death as any "tactical" weapon ever was.

I will list a few points regarding the "need" for the various additions to my shotgun. It would be interesting to hear your take on my explanations.

1) pistol grip stock- This offers greater control (IMHO) vs any standard stock and therefore, allows me to maintain better "command" over the weapon if fired. In addition, the PS stock just might allow for greater defense against a disarm attempt due to the stronger grip it affords.

2) weapon-mounted white light- First and foremost, this is used for identifying anything or anyone (and whether or not to engage) at night. Particularly where a long gun is concerned, manipulating a flashlight is not a practical consideration. Now, I will admit, using a weapon mounted light would probably necessitate the need to point a loaded firearm at an individual (for identification) which could certainly be considered a felony. However, there are many variables concerning this that I wont go into right now. But, since I started using the light, I have made up my mind to always leave the safety engaged until positive identification is made. This may add a few precious seconds to my reaction time, but I think this method/mindset is the most responsible.

3) mag tube extension- Well, this one is too obvious to comment on. However, without it I would not be able to mount my current light.

4) sidesaddle- Besides the obvious use for keeping extra ammo on the gun itself, this item is my way of dealing with Murphys Law. Its entirely possible that a weapon malfunction might lead to the inability to chamber a round (FTF), thus turning an effective HD weapon into nothing more than an intimidating club. The sidesaddle, when equipped with extra ammo, gives me the much needed ability to grab a round and directly load it into the chamber should such a failure occur (at the worst possible time).

So, taken as a whole, I see these accessories as simply allowing for a more effective/versatile HD weapon vs simply considering it as a more effective killing machine. Keep in mind, with all of this said, I believe using a weapon (for PD/HD) is not about killing but rather, stopping.

In closing, Ive also considered the "ominous" nature of my shotgun to be a positive thing. To me, this lets others know that this is a serious item and not a toy. I think that weapons which look less intimidating just might cause those less familiar with firearms to not take them quite as seriously. This could prove to be very dangerous.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; February 6, 2009 at 05:56 PM.

Page generated in 0.02825 seconds with 8 queries