View Single Post
Old December 12, 2006, 02:38 PM   #17
RsqVet

Did your pup have a chip or tatto?? If he was imported (Sorry but that is a guess as I'm unfamilar with the KNC) he likely had one of these things which can come in handy as definitive proof of ownership, as to finding him call all the vets in the area, and police the area for him --- esp anyone who knew of him and his value / breeding. Good luck, as that stinks big time and theft / loss of my dog is one think that I really fear / dread.

As to your direct question any adult dog that barks (sometimes it's hard to get them to stop) is less likely to get stolen and would be more of a deterent, of course the traditional attack breeds provide a psycological deterent as well. In regard to specific breeds keep in mind that in any breed there is varyation and all dogs that have a job (police, search, guide) are tested / evaluated for suitability early on in life. If this is something that your wish to use a dog for obviously you would want to discuss this with your breeder and select an apropriate puppy temperemtn and drive wise. If you have a good breeder (of Shepherds) they would understand this (and if they really don't know what you are talking about you might want to look elsewhere for the kind of coin you are talking about) and offer you maybe 2-4 pups for your consideration after talking to your about your goals. By having a selection you can pick the one that meshes with your personality best, funny thing it as in horses a lot of handlers pick the crazyest dog in the lot... not something I have ever understood (or reccomend) but to each their own. Even so genetics being what it is it does nto always work out.

If you want to train for guard / atack / protection duties keep in mind that this requires a time / money comittment that rivals what it would take to make you a highly compeditive shooter in your chosen field. Furthermore once you uncork the genie of canine agression you are stuck dealing with it for life. Anyway I'm guessign you just want a barker, if you want more than that find a good trainer in your area (asking local police K9 handlers who they reccomend is a good start) and watch / talk with them before you leap in.

Good luck, I'm in AZ otherwise I'd offer to help put the word out on your missing pup.

Page generated in 0.02338 seconds with 8 queries