View Single Post
Old July 22, 2006, 10:37 AM   #6
El Paso Joe

SGN article

Sounds like a worthy project. I don't know about any kits - but Shotgun News had an issue this last year entitled "Mausers - The World's Greatest Bolt Rifle" that had a series on converting and sporterizing by Reid Coffield. He actually does a step by step conversion of an "as issued" mil mauser to a 30-06 with an Adams and Bennet barrel. You might try their web site http://www.shotgunnews.com to see if it is still available. Also Jerry Kuhnhausen's Mauser shop manual (available from Midway) is pretty good.

I am currently in the process of converting a commercial (Santa Barbara action) Mauser to 35 Whelen. The reamer and handle, headspace guages, barrel vise, and action wrench set me back close to $300. The trigger was another sixty or so. Then there will be the bluing - I am going to try Brownells new cold blue and see if the results are reasonable (if they aren't I will build a "swamp closet" and slow rust it). There is a lot of work involved but on the other hand, a labor of love is really good work...

Good luck on the project - post some pics when you are done.

Page generated in 0.02327 seconds with 8 queries