View Single Post
Old August 27, 2020, 06:46 AM   #5
5whiskey

Quote:
I’m with 44 AMP on the idea maybe your die isn’t sizing the neck small enough. Try sizing some cases without the expander ball and measure them.
I actually tried taking the expander out and the die body does size the neck plenty small enough. Runout is an issue when not using the expander ball. A obvious issue that doesn’t require a dial gauge to detect.

44amp I think generally your advice is on point. I’ve used prvi brass in plenty of other calibers without issue, but I won’t pretend it’s as good as most American manufactured brass (save federal I’m through with federal rifle brass). At any rate prvi is all I have at this point. And the expander measuring at .3105 seemed a little... large to me.

Mike I used to be a big fan of neck only sizing, but I went away from it as you must FL size anyway after the 2nd or 3rd firing. I may get a collet for some of my milsurp calibers with generous chamber sizes to prolong my brass life some, as you said.

I work on the expander last night. 2000 grit wet or dry is mild enough to do it safely I found. It even took a lot longer than I thought. After polishing the expander down to .309 I have much better neck tension. The bullet puller test gives me confidence that the rounds are good to go now.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946

Page generated in 0.02307 seconds with 8 queries