View Single Post
Old January 25, 2018, 12:29 PM   #14

"One question though -- am I right to assume that targets are always 25m away, and longer distances are simulated by scaling them down? That means only rimfire ammo should be needed, if I have it correct. "

Yes, the targets at a regular Appleseed event are at 25 meters and the targets are scaled down to simulate 100 yards (standing), 200 yards (sitting), 300 yards (rapid prone), and 400 yards (slow fire prone).
The targets are scaled down so that you are still trying to shoot 4 MOA.

There are full distance Appleseed events (called KD events) where you actually shoot at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards. At least where I live, you have to have shot a Rifleman score at a regular Appleseed event in order to shoot a full distance Appleseed event. And this is the reason they want you to have shot a Rifleman score at a regular Appleseed before you attend a KD. You should have a handle on the fundamentals and now you are adding the knowledge of sight dope, and reading the wind.

The reason for the 25 meter distance is that it would allow more venues to host an Appleseed event. It is much easier to find a 25 meter range than it is to find a 400 yard range. In addition, this allows you to focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship without having to worry about sight dope, and wind.

Yes, today most Appleseed participants shoot a .22 LR rifle. However, when Appleseed first got started it was intended to be shot with a centerfire rifle. Back then, you could get military surplus rifles and ammunition from places like the CMP pretty inexpensively. So people originally were shooting with stuff like M1As and M1s. And at the time, you could get truck loads of 7.62 and .30-06 milsurp ammo. However in today's world, you can no longer easily buy surplus ammo and even if you can, it is expensive; so the whole thing has evolved into shooting with .22s. However, you don't HAVE to shoot a .22 if you don't want to. You can shoot anything you want to within reason. If you want to shoot a regular Appleseed event with an M1, you certainly can; I should say, that you can unless the range that is hosting the event has an issue with it. If the hosting range doesn't allow you to shoot larger bore rifles, it will say that when you sign up for the event. But, at most of the ones I have been to, you can shoot with anything you want. Although I have been to a couple where you were limited to .22s. Never the less, most people use .22s and most people use Ruger 10/22s FWIW.

Likewise with the KD shoots (at least the two that I have been to), most people were using an AR15. There were a couple people shooting M1As and at least one guy was shooting an FN-FAL. I think one guy was shooting an AK; but almost everybody was shooting an AR15.

There are lots of YouTube videos showing Project Appleseed events and videos talking about how the whole thing works. There are also various webpages that explain the whole thing, what equipment you need to bring and all that.

They are a lot of fun and I think that all but the most experienced shooters will get something out of attending one. If nothing else, you get exposed to the history of April 19, 1775. You also get to meet a bunch of good people. You get to see the facilities that the various clubs have to offer. And I can think of a lot worse things to do than spending two days shooting.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Last edited by 444; January 25, 2018 at 12:40 PM.

Page generated in 0.03998 seconds with 8 queries