View Single Post
Old September 22, 2013, 06:16 AM   #7
spacecoast

I looked at their most expensive model ($2500) and the body is only 9 gauge. Not the worst out there (some of their others are 12 gauge, easily pierced by a fire axe), but for that kind of money I would be looking for American made and 1/4" steel at a minimum. Their $1000 safe is all 12-gauge, and would last only a very few minutes (or seconds) to someone with a fire axe or pickaxe.

The video is not very convincing. He was able to shake the safe around just by the handle, meaning it is relatively light and likely 12-gauge steel. I'm not sure why all the discussion about the hinges, they don't do anything to hold the door closed on a decent safe, there should be just as many bolts on the hinge side as the opening side.

The axe attack demo is also unconvincing, a pointed tool like a pick axe or fire axe would be much more realistic (and would I think yield different results with that safe).

I'm not saying you got a poor safe for your needs, fortunately very few safes ever have a break-in attempt. Hopefully you had a chance to check out the CE Safes video as well before buying.

Last edited by spacecoast; September 22, 2013 at 05:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.03743 seconds with 8 queries