Thread: Reality tv?
View Single Post
Old March 25, 2008, 10:01 PM   #1
MeekAndMild

Reality tv?

I saw this on TV today. What would you do in this situation? Is an armed citizen less tempted to do physical violence to protect others or more tempted?

You're at the beach and there sitting on a park bench is a 30 something woman. She's obese and there are three late teens teasing her about how fat she is. There were two scenes one with three girls and one with three boys, all verbally abusing her to the point where she is crying. Passersby for the most part ignore the situation. Those who try to stop and redirect things get verbally assaulted by the teens. This is a setup and there is a TV camera crew hidden nearby to film whatever happens. The fat woman and each of the 2 sets of delinquents are actors.

So what would you do? These are some thoughts of mine.

I wondered if I was not carrying a weapon if I'd be tempted to wade into things, not saying a word. I wonder if I might be tempted to just walk up and start kicking and swinging. Depending on how much abuse I perceived the woman was taking I might try to really hurt the kids. If one is unarmed in a 3 on 1 situation it would seem only logical for them to wade in and try to create as much "shock and awe" as quickly as possible to drive off the threat. If I was carrying a nonlethal weapon like a Taser or pepper spray I think I'd be tempted to do the same, attack the aggressors first and ask questions later.

On the other hand if I was carrying I'd be more likely to verbally intervene although I can't say that if they made any gestures to physically harm me or the woman I wouldn't defend myself.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.

Page generated in 0.02754 seconds with 8 queries