View Single Post
Old September 19, 2005, 09:58 PM   #99
Trip20

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip20
What you view is a deterioration of a sport, may be what others view as it's possible savior. Numbers are down. In my latest F&S (talk about a rag that throws products in your face) there is an article that states (paraphrasing wording but not numbers) "for every 100 hunters only 69 take their place". That is the average among all 50 states. There are states where it's as low as the teens... That's not good in anyone's book.
I disagree with the concept that increasing the number of hunters by lowering the standards of the sport is a good thing. The number of hunters is not relevant to using technological aids that put the hunter at an ever increasing advantage over the deer. At some point the use of ever more powerful technological aids must stop. If we simply want to increase the number of hunters, then all we have to do is allow hunting from the side of the road, allow spot-lighting at night, etc - in other words, allow the sport to deteriorate even further so that more and more people are attracted to it.
Butch... see, that's not the concept in my statement. And where the heck does "lowering standards" come into anything I said? How does that go again? Ah, yes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50
non sequitur (non se•qui•tur NOUN: An inference or conclusion that does not follow from the premises or evidence. A statement that does not follow logically from what preceded it.)
I thought this was a discussion about "tradition" vs. evolving technology. At least that's what I've been talking about all this time, in lieu of "lowering standards".

One of the biggest problems is that there is little tradition left in hunting because there was no tradition to begin with. That is, there are more hunters than you might realize, who's grandfather or father didn't pass down a darn thing. They've picked it up on their own. A lot of these hunters are going to the gun shop and picking up the latest technology for each season, not knowing that being more "traditional" may highten the experience. And, there have always been, and will always be, hunters who aren't in it for the "experience" that you get from a more primitive weapon. These aren't necessarily bad people - they just get something different out of hunting than traditionalists.

Page generated in 0.03641 seconds with 8 queries