Thread: ATVs annoy me
View Single Post
Old November 19, 2001, 11:53 AM   #16

J. Parker ; What you are talking about, is to me, a different subject altogether. Sure, ATVs are fun to ride. It is great fun exploring trails, dirt roads etc. I have a Jeep and a 4x4 truck that I do that in all the time. "Hunting" from an ATV is another matter. To me, it is no different than driving back roads in the car and shooting deer out the window. That is what I am talking about. I don't even have a problem with someone driving an ATV while I am hunting (may keep the animals moving), but again, driving right around a guy while he is hunting is another story, which as you say, has nothing to do with the ATV it is just common manners. Ditto the jet ski driving right around someone that is trying to fish. There is plenty of lake for everyone to enjoy, they just seem to always want to enjoy the exact same place you do; again, just common manners.
To me, hunting is about pitting your prey instincts and skills against that of your prey. Still hunting through the woods with all your senses on full alert. Looking for sign, listening for the slightest noise, trying to pick out the broken outline of an animal, searching for the slightest movement, even smell comes into play with some animals. Once again, for me, none of that comes into play when shooting an animal from an ATV.
Since you are not a hunter you may not realize what is at stake here. In the West, you don't just buy a tag, you have to get one from a lottery. Some tags take years of application to get. For example, here in Nevada, an elk tag is considered a once in a lifetime tag. The reason being that it usually takes about 10 years of application before you are drawn in the lottery. Then after being drawn, you must wait 10 years to apply again which then begins the cycle of applying for possibly another 10 years before you are drawn. If you were 20 when you started applying, it very well may take you until you were 30 to get a tag. Then you arn't eligible to apply again until you were 40 and it might take you until you were 50 to get drawn again. Again, here in the West, for most of us hunting isn't a matter of just walking out the back door. Most of us plan a hunt all year, drive to the area and scout several times, then you take vacation time to hunt............. Imagine going through all this only to have a possible once in a lifetime hunt destroyed by someone riding their ATV where you are trying to hunt. Sure, it may be legal, but the price paid by the hunter is usually way out of proportion to that payed by the guy on the ATV. If the hunter happens to be from out of state, he may have gone through this whole process and when he is finally drawn, it costs him over $1000 just for the tag. It would be extremly selfish and self serving to insist on exercising your right to ride at this guy's expense.

Last edited by 444; November 19, 2001 at 12:13 PM.

Page generated in 0.03086 seconds with 8 queries