View Single Post
Old April 6, 2014, 06:47 PM   #1
musher

Federal Fusion 308 minimal expansion on game

Recently my son used Federal Fusion 308 150 grain ammo to take 2 caribou using a model 70 featherweight. Both were bulls, maybe 200-225 lbs. This was the first time we've used the Federal fusion. It grouped a little better in his new rifle than the Remington corelokts he used in his old gun, so we decided to give them a try. It also helped that we could actually find them to purchase here in town.

When dressing the animals, I was somewhat perplexed by the exit wound on one of the chest shots since it was pretty much indistinguishable from the entrance wound. I don't remember noticing anything odd about the wounds on the second animal he took, so I don't know if expansion was normal or not there.

On one of our animals, my son took a second shot to prevent the animal from disappearing into the woods. We recovered this bullet in the meat of the neck. It didn't hit any bones, but I didn't follow the wound track, so I don't know its exact path through the animal.

The shots were approximately 250 yards. I would have expected this to be well within the range where we could expect reliable expansion on game. Federal's ballistic table on the box shows an expected velocity of about 2300 fps at that range. Probably somewhat lower with the featherweight's shorter barrel (2200 or so?)

The recovered bullet is shown next to an unfired 150 grain fusion disassembled from the hunting ammo my son used.

I'm curious about other's experiences with expansion of this bullet line on big game.

musher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side_view.JPG (19.1 KB, 1865 views)
File Type: jpg top_view.JPG (30.8 KB, 1599 views)

Page generated in 0.03962 seconds with 9 queries