View Single Post
Old June 30, 2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda94
I'm curious what that 'database' is?
and why is someone from the "criminal division" tracking law abiding citizens?
Connecticut has two databases.

First, Connecticut enacted an AWB in 1993. Previously-owned long guns (primarily AR-15-pattern rifles) that fell under the definition of "assault weapon" were allowed to be kept, but had to be registered with the CT State Police. The new law passed in April added over 100 specific firearms to the assault weapon definition by name, as well as changing the definition from a "two evil feature" definition like the old Federal AWB to a ONE evil feature definition. So people who owned such firearms as of the date of the law (April, IIRC) have until January 1, 2014, to register them. So that will swell the registry significantly.

In addition, Connecticut (like Pennsylvania) has a report form that must be filled out by the FFL for all firearms purchases or transfers, to report them to the State Police. Until the new law in April, private sales of handguns in CT required the seller to submit the same form to the State Police, but long guns were exempt and you could sell a rifle in Connecticut just as if you lived in a free world. The new law will make ALL private sales of firearms subject to this requirement. Part of it is calling the State Police to get an authorization for each sale.

So they have a database of all sales that have gone through the authorization and reporting process. But it's not a blanket registration, because (as I noted) until April long guns weren't covered, plus there is no requirement to register currently-owned firearms if someone moves into Connecticut from a free state. (Not likely -- seems there are more people leaving than arriving.)

Confused? So are my friends in Connecticut, and I've been informed that even the State Police Firearms Unit has declined to answer questions because they don't understand what the law says and requires.

Page generated in 0.02757 seconds with 8 queries