Thread: Neck sizing...
View Single Post
Old November 26, 1998, 09:47 PM   #2
Ed

I usually neck size only for my 6.5 Swede, and it works out better than full length sizing for me on that rifle. There are several advantages IMO. One is that your brass will last longer due to less "working" the metal. The case will eventually develop a crack at the mouth, but it's easy to see. Another advantage is headspacing. If you don't set the neck back by full length sizing, the case will always be properly headspaced in that rifle. Of course, if you load the same caliber for more than one gun, you have to keep the cases separated for each gun.

I use the regular full length die for neck sizing. Just back the die out a couple turns or so, and try a case. When you get to where the sizing marks stop just shy of the beginning of the shoulder, lock the die down and you're there. It takes a little fiddling around with the die depth, but it's not difficult at all.

I'm sure you know that neck sized cases usually won't work in lever, pump., or semi-auto actions. At least that's what I've heard, I have never tried it myself.

Page generated in 0.03594 seconds with 8 queries