View Single Post
Old October 14, 2008, 07:46 PM   #19
KChen986

MD FFL Rifle Transfer

Hey all, I apologize for asking this question.

I was under the impression that from a private rifle sale, the seller may ship the rifle across state lines in to the buyer's state, so long as the rifle goes to a FFL. I checked the BATFE FAQ and it had implied that. Furthermore, the seller told me the same.

However today, when I went to pick up my rifle (M1A NM), the FFL started hootin' and hollerin' about how there was no FFL enclosed in the package and that I had, 'violated about 37 federal laws.' The man's wife even shot me a dirty look.

I went ahead and called the BATFE to clarify, and they stated that rifles may go to from a non licensee to a FFL, no problem. However the agent who picked up my call said to call Baltimore BATFE just to be safe....

Anyone know what the rule is on this? I wasted an hour today and the shopowner is somewhat antagonizing (I'm not going back there--ever).

I want to be able to bring a strong case on how his interpretation of the FFL laws (Must have an FFL on both ends, shipping & receiving) is wrong, and only applies to pistols.

Is my interpretation correct? (FFL needed only on recieving end for a rifle) Any help will be appreciated!

Page generated in 0.02109 seconds with 8 queries